Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 Resolutions

Happy New Year everyone!

2010 was the best year of my life. So that was neat.

Now it's time to look forward with the obligatory 2011 Resolution Post.

I haven't made a resolution in years. Many major changes happened in our lives (getting married, buying a home, renovating, having babies). We've made huuuge leaps forward in our home and our family. This year, I'd like to take some smaller steps to focus on myself. As selfish as it sounds, I guess.

There are general areas I'd like to improve upon, some of which are super cliche (lose weight, wicked original!). But I've come up with some concrete, attainable goals within the broader concepts.

Physically
Goal: Run at least once a week.

I used to run, ya know. I'd never call myself a runner. But I ran a few miles 2-4 times a week pretty religiously for years. And I hate running. I can play any sport for hours at a time, but running for 5 minutes is torture. I have physical limitations (flat feet, bad ankles), but I think it's more a mental aversion. Even when I'm listening to music, it's quiet and still and boring. The scenery changes but it's all the same. I wanna kick and swing and jump. Run? Just run? Yawnzies.

But I did it because it was easy and fast. I could open my front door and GO. That's the kind of exercise I need right now. And when I start running, everything else kinda falls into place. I have more energy, eat better, sleep better, lose weight. I just have to put one foot in front the other.

Educationally (Is that even a word? I didn't graduate from college, people.)
Goal: Meet with a counselor, take a class or two.

I have about half the credits needed for my bachelors. It's not an ideal situation, especially for someone who was always considered a smaht kid growing up. But I'm not going to be ashamed of that little glitch on my life resume. I know who I am and where I am, and I am ridiculously happy. A degree is just something I want. Also, I like school. I may take time off here and there, but I'm never going to give up until I finish. I don't care if it takes until I'm 80.

I used to get into these frantic states of, 'OMG I have to quit my job and quit my life and go back to school full time before it's TOO LATE!' At this point in my life, I am much more comfortable with the idea of taking it slow. I'll get there. Just gotta chip away. Now's the time.

Creatively
Goal: Create 2 pieces of which I am proud.

I consider myself artistically inclined. But I can't call myself artistic unless I actually DO something with it. Overall I want to produce more... lotsa stuff, mostly crap I'm sure. But you have to create a lot of crap before you get something decent. Two pieces or 'art' that I can look at without cringing is the goal.

These are small, seemingly easy to reach objectives. I'd like to work toward these even in the face of setbacks and adversity. In the past things have always come up. Injuries, health issues, pregnancy, time and money constraints. Ya know.. LIFE 'n stuff. But these kinds of things are always going to happen. So I guess an additional resolution is to not throw my goals out the window when something unexpected arises.

There you have it. Some heavy duty resolutin' up in here.

I'm excited to see what 2011 has in store!

2 comments:

Joe Sheehan said...

I remember when you used to run. Like when you beat me in a race in 4th grade and the joke was that I "lost to a girl". And yes, you're smart, and artsy, and musical to boot! Stay Gold, Ponyboy.

Judy C. said...

That Joe Sheehan was also a 'smaht' kid from Braintree!!!...and a good judge of character as well! Hi Joe...hope all is well!!
Sarah, goals should always be a part of your life...it keeps life interesting...nice to reach the end but more fun working towards them....each step = success. Love your list! Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails