Monday, March 2, 2009

One down…

…I don’t know how many to go. It’s just nice to see something DONE. Ok, it’s not 100% done. The only pieces missing are the closet door and the trim work. But the floor is DONE. The closet is DONE (Sarah may decide to paint the shelves…) The 2nd bedroom is now live-able space! We’ve just doubled the amount of rooms we can now live out of!

So with the big announcement out of the way, here’s how it all went down.

As you may already know, this started out as a project to lay hardwood floors upstairs. When we discovered how out of level those floors were, we knew we had a long road ahead of us. Here’s a shot of the new level subfloor. We leveled it to the top of the stairwell, out side of this bedroom. Here is the far wall. Check out where the original floor (and heat) was compared to the new floor. If you can’t tell, that’s around a 6” difference over a span of 14 feet. Yowzers.

With Nick and Paul only available on Sundays, I had to try to do as much on my own to keep the job moving. At times it’s really tough. Working a full day, just to come home and work isn’t always the most ideal day. But, if we ever want this project to end, that’s the way it has to be.

I started by replacing all of the heating registers upstairs. Way back when we painted the old ones. But they didn’t POP enough, and they were pretty dinged up. We (I?) made the decision to replace them all. Now they POP.

What’s that you see in the photo above? Is that the new floor?! Well, kinda. I just put down a few pieces to see how it would look against the new heaters. Pretty good! (Dusty, I know)

So I finished up the heat and moved forward with Sarah’s closet. The large closet is in the smaller bedroom. Kind of a screwy layout, but it will work out fine as it’s right next to the bathroom. So Sarah can just walk out of the bathroom and grab a days worth of clothes right next door, come back to the bedroom and say goodbye to me while I am still sleeping, as she heads off to work. I installed all of the hardware (which was recycled from the closet down stairs) to get an idea of what I would have left over for my closet. My closet will be the small closet in the big bedroom.

I figured the closet would be a good place to “practice” nailing in the wood floor. Nailing, stapling, whatever you want to call it. After much searching, I decided to purchase a flooring stapler. There were a few things at work here. The cost (not cheap) of buying vs. renting. A rental runs around 30-35 a day. With me only able to work nights and weekends, I’d feel rushed trying to bang the floor out with a rental eating away at my wallet. I’d have to do the two rooms upstairs, 500 sq feet, as soon as possible. Not the most desirable situation. So I went the purchase route. It was around $400, but it will pay off long term as I’m on my own schedule. I can also use it to do the downstairs (around 700 sq ft) when we get there in a few months…(I hope).
So I did the floor in the closet, and I was feeling quite good about the results. It’s really hard to photograph a closet, but you get the idea.

With my confidence at an all time high (I only wrecked one piece!) I had high hopes when I made the move to the bedroom. Out of all the projects I’ve worked on, I have to say, I am most proud of this one. Building the shed last year with my dad was a big one, but seeing how this floor came out makes me smile big time! It looks great! Of course if it falls apart in a few weeks that will be another story. I got a few tips from Nick, did some serious reading up on the interweb and had at it. I started around 10am on Saturday. I worked until 1pm as I had a birthday party to attend. The whole time I am thinking…I gotta finish the floor!


I got about 80% of it done. I had to stop in front of the closet as I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do around the threshold. With Nick and Paul coming in the morning, I knew they’d shed some light on it. Well, they did, and with a scheduled day off on Monday, I knew I could finish it. Yes, it looks awesome!

Sarah is currently moving into her closet as I type this. Although we can’t seem to find one bag of clothes… As I just finished typing that she shouted “Never mind, I found it!).

And of course a closet would be nothing without a place to put 100 pairs of shoes. I built, yes I…BUILT, a custom set of shelves that fit around the heating register in the closet. The compressor that I bought for the flooring stapler came with a finish gun, brad nailer and finish stapler. All tools that will let me be a little more handy around the house. I bought 4 – 8’ long 12” wide pine boards and was able to drive them home in our Xterra. Gotta love it!

I originally only built the top part and was going to mount it to the wall. I then figured out it would be easier to build the base, and it would have some functionality as well.


We ended up testing it out and the top shelf was kinda in the way, so I cut of the top. So it fits a little better now w/ the clothes.

So some progress upstairs, but what about that mess downstairs? Progress there as well! Nick and Paul spent Sunday morning framing out the ceiling for the front room and hanging all of the strapping. It looks so much better having the ceiling lowered in the front room. It makes everything feel bigger.

I have a little homework to do (demo some wall board) but the place is now ready for the electrician. He’ll be coming on Saturday to get the place wired up. Our lights have been ordered and I’ll be picking them up some time this week.

After the electrician is done the plasterer can get in here. They’ll spend a day hanging the board and plastering the ceiling. Then they’ll come back and do a few of the walls the next day.

If all goes well, we’ll have a ceiling and all of our walls up in the next two weeks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Floors look awesome Tony - sweet job!!
Love,
Gibby

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails